2008-01-31

Nikon Envy





HamWithCam at PMA08 with the new Nikon D3 and a "size matters" lens.



We watched a presentation at the Nikon booth by professional photographer Dave Black who tested the D3 and took photos for the brochure.



We were extremely impressed with the new 3D tracking auto-focus and high ISO (6400 and 12800) capabilities with no noise that I could see (at 6400 ISO).



The D3 delivers what I've been hoping Canon would at least partially deliver in an upgrade to the 5D. Granted this is substantially more camera than the 5D or even 1D mk III. However, Nikon has now leapfrogged Canon into a realm that changes what's possible. Canon can do at best 3200 ISO with a +1 stop expansion to 6400. Now Nikon is at least one if not two (low noise) stops better plus the 3D autofocus.



I'm very disappointed that Canon has not upgraded the 5D. So much so that this has got me thinking about a D3, despite the fact that I have no Nikon equipment to start from, and already a significant investment in Canon L series lenses. Yes, this is not a fair comparison (5D vs. D3). I should really be looking at the 1D mk III vs. D3, and the 5D to the D300. Except the D300 has a crop sensor (more noise). But so what, I'm not bound by theoretical "best in class" marketing categories.



The bottom line is that if Canon had an EOS 5D mk II (or 7D) out now that did 6400 grainless with expansion to 12800 ISO, I could consider it. But they don't, and the 1D mk III can't touch it.



The D3 is very tempting, despite the cost.



Ham's shot of David's presentation.

0 comments: