2008-02-25

Where Are They



Having just fixed a flat in the middle of Death Valley on a long stretch of unpaved road, I decided to continue the remaining 7 miles, now without a spare.

By my calculations, I had given myself plenty of time to get here in time for the hour before sunset. In fact, I was worried that I would have too much time here and might even take a nap.

But now I'm here. 16:07 PST.
Where's the sun?

"Have I missed the sunset?"

"Where are the rocks and the tracks?!"

I walk around the nothern end of the dry lake bed, wondering where all of the rocks are, and still rather perplexed that somehow I hadn't considered the possibility that there would be a sizeable mountain to the west of the lake bed that the sun would go down over a good two hours before actual sunset!

"Did I really just spend nearly 5 hours to drive over 200 miles and miss it all?"

0 comments: