2008-05-09

Two Features That Would Make PicLens Much Better (on Flickr)



I've been using PicLens a lot recently on Flickr to browse photo streams, photos from new contacts and photo pools. Even Explore (by calendar).
(PicLens is a browser plugin for Firefox and IE on Windows and Firefox and Safari on OSX)

One of the features that I love about PicLens is that I can view most photos at maximum resolution. I have a 30" monitor, so this makes a big difference. What's interesting is that as long as someone has uploaded a photo in full resolution, I can see it that way. Even if they don't allow "All sizes" to be viewed based on their permissions. So using PicLens I actually see a lot more than I would by just browsing Flickr or by using something like FlickrLeech.

However, I find that I don't Fav and comment on photos as much as I'd like to because it's so painful to re-enter PicLens and find the spot where I left off after popping out to Flickr in Firefox to leave a comment or Fav a photo.

So there are two features that I think PicLens should implement for Flickr.

  1. I should be able to use a keyboard shortcut (i.e. "f") to mark a photo I'm viewing as a favorite.
  2. I should be able to leave comments directly within PicLens. A keyboard shortcut (i.e. "c") should pop-up a small dialog box for me to leave a comment.

This would be nirvana.

If you think this would be a good idea, write to them and tell them.

1 comments:

Thomas Hawk said...

Good points. I'd also like to be able to simply cmd-click, ctl-click, images to have them open in tabs. Then I could go back and fave/comment later.